Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Too Bad

I blurted out the thought "wonder if the Pirates would pursue Marcus Giles" when I saw he was non-tendered by Atlanta. Then I remembered that the Pirates are a bit heavy in the middle of the infield...but I can't help but want numbers like this on my team...Marcus Giles is basically a good defensive 2B who lit it up in his first full season ('03) then was hurt in '04 and didnt work out as a leadoff hitter last year. In spite of all that, over the last 3 seasons since his breakout...

(AVG/OBP/OPS)
.253/.335/.695 as a leadoff hitter
.301/.375/.835 otherwise (mostly #2/#3)

Giles also hit .333 in NLCD parks over that three year span, and for his career has hit .339 with 21 HR and 80 RBI in 556 AB's against the NLCD

I think numbers like that in spite of a rocky three seasons qualify as significant.

Unfortunately, it is rather obvious that Marcus would excel the best hitting either second or third, and unfortunately, the Pirates already have 4 guys who are most ideal in those spots (Bay, Sanchez, Wilson, and Bautista).

At the same time, the age-old argument could be brought up that having hitters in the right spot in the order is significantly less important than having the right hitters to begin with. If Giles, Sanchez and Wilson all produced offensively, who cares where they hit in the order? Besides, having Giles doesn't preclude playing Sanchez, since he is capable if not spectacular at 3B.

(I have no problem putting Bautista in the OF, and yes I am leaving Castillo off the roster in this situation. He's lighting up the VWL, whoopity-doo. He did it last year too, and look where that got us.)

So there it is. I have convinced myself. Use that avaiable 17 million a bit, offer up a 3 year, $18 million deal to Giles (wehave to overpay some, remember) and roll with it.

No comments: